Monday, April 07, 2008

My Cake and Tibet

So whats up? My blood sugar is whats up fool! Lately I have been eating a lot of Balfours Frog cakes which if you don't know are little square cup cakes with cream on top covered in frosting and slightly resembling a frog. I used to eat them when I was a kid and have just rediscovered them. I think they are great and they will take you from zero to diabetes in about 2.4 seconds which is way faster than a Ferrari.

Today I did something very different from my usual. As is the continuing trend with my job, today was completely different to any other day. We went to look at a job and I ended up helping two blokes put the gyprock on the ceiling of the job and then helped them flush it ready to be painted. I had never done that before. It was a pretty average job so I didn't mind when we were finished and the fact that I'm over 6 foot and the other two guys were barely 5 foot made it all a bit awkward. It was different I guess and at least I can tick that box off.

I came home to watch the news tonight and heard all about how protesters had interrupted the Olympic torch relay in London. Now I completely agree with their cause and I completely agree that we should fight to free Tibet but I do not agree with the way they went about it. Protesters ran out and grabbed the torch from the relay runners and were then tackled by police. I feel sorry for the people holding the torch because that is a once in a life time opportunity and it was ruined. One of the women that was shown on the news looked quite scared as the man ran towards her. Now I know Tibet is a very serious issue but I think stunts like this, although bringing huge media attention, can harm the process. Tibet stands for everything that is peaceful and I really do think a violent protest in this instance is degrading to the cause. I do think something needs to be done and I do not agree with the Chinese occupation. I think that if the Chinese media wasn't so censored the Chinese people would think differently about the occupation but I don't know if those media bans will be eased any time soon. I just hope the world does not continue to turn a blind eye on Tibet. Free Tibet.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks! It was actually my sister's dog, but still very sad losing her because she was just a few months old. Anyway, I really like the photos of the lit up houses on your photo blog. Was that some kind of festival, or something?

Phil said...

Yea it was during the Adelaide Fringe Festival which is a huge festival with arts and comedy and different things. It was amazing to see.

Anonymous said...

god i love how you talk. go from zero to diabetes is the funniest thing ive heard all week. im sorry i havent called ive been really sick. going to doctor tomorrow so hopefully she sorts me out!
love ya work
xx

Anonymous said...

god i love how you talk. go from zero to diabetes is the funniest thing ive heard all week. im sorry i havent called ive been really sick. going to doctor tomorrow so hopefully she sorts me out!
love ya work
xx